Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus in the heart of downtown Raleigh.
Saint Mary’s School is currently looking for Substitute Teachers to work on our beautiful historic campus. Substitute Teachers will perform related duties of a teacher to provide continuity in the day-to-day student experience during the absence of the regular teacher. A substitute teacher will be employed on an on-call, as needed, day-to-day basis. There are no benefits associated with substitute employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages classroom and provides instruction according to plans as prepared by the faculty.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom.
- Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Contact Dean of Academic Innovation, academic chair, or faculty member for assistance with emergencies or situations beyond scope of position.
- Knows applicable school procedures.
- Provides written information to absent teacher about students, lessons, and activities while away.
- Proctor standardized testing and AP testing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by academic chair.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or previous experience in the education field preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow lesson plans and other instructional information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and facilitative skills.
- Ability to use and learn technology including learning management software and Microsoft Office.
- Exercise good judgement when dealing with students.
- Comply with school standards as they relate to faculty conduct.
- Flexible in work schedule.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- May deal with situations in the normal course of duties, including a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment.
- Ability to walk up and down three (3) flights of stairs.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of times.
- Standing, bending, reaching and moving about to coordinate work.
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, staff and visitors.
- May work at a desk on a phone and/or in front of a computer screen.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package.
We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.