Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is offering a unique and exciting opportunity for an Instructor of Spanish to work on a beautiful historic campus for the 2023-24 year. This benefited position possibly offers campus housing provided by the School where Residential Faculty members can participate in a vibrant campus life with other families and students and enjoy meals in the dining hall. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security.
This position requires a designer of learning, a pedagogical expert and a flexible teacher who can teach a variety of Spanish classes for freshmen through seniors, including level 1 through Level III, and the possibility of a class in another subject area. We are looking for candidates who have strong teaching and learning backgrounds that embodies a student-centered philosophy and demonstrates a high degree of cross-cultural competency and inclusion in all aspect of school life. Saint Mary’s School seeks candidates who believe every learner deserves to have her needs met through learning communities that value diversity, compassion, and fairness. Our teachers work to create equitable classrooms providing students with equal access to learn and achieve their full potential. We are seeking faculty members who are looking for opportunities to share in the residential-life responsibilities and engage in the community by coaching a sport and/or coordinating extra-curricular activities in the evenings or weekends.
Saint Mary’s School faculty members are designers of learning who bring the mission of the school to life, creating classrooms that embody and nurture intellectual engagement and facilitate the Saint Mary’s School competencies. Faculty members report to the Dean of Academic Innovation through their academic leaders. Faculty members are responsible for all aspects of the classes they teach, for participation in various departmental and school groups and endeavors, and for participating as chaperone or sponsor or in some other capacity in aspects of the student life program.
This position has the possibility to be residential and as such there is an opportunity to be a part of a close-knit residential faculty community where one lives on campus and works with students who board at the school. Residential Faculty members report to the Director of Residential Life and are responsible for duty of the girls at least one night a week and one weekend a month, including participating as a chaperone/sponsor or in some other capacity in aspects of the student life program.
- Teach 2-3 sections of Spanish I, II, and/or III. Opportunities to teach in another subject area may be available.
- Design learning to engage and inspire students.
- When relevant, imbed key competencies into the learning environment.
- Enthusiastic and contributing member of the academic team.
- Using formative and summative assessment, report on students’ progress regularly.
- Understand and utilize technology as a teaching tool and also to maximize student learning.
- Provide differentiated instruction for all students and in particular students who require it.
- Evaluate and update course materials annually.
- Serve as an advisor.
- Write recommendations for college applications and for awards, scholarships, and honors.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders through regularly scheduled progress reports.
- Assist with monitoring and proctoring students in a variety of academic settings, including but not limited to standardized testing, tutorial, and study hall.
- Help with co- and extra-curricular programs.
- Aspire to continuous professional growth by engaging in regular professional learning opportunities, which may include activities for licensing and for maintaining accreditation.
- Develop and maintain a professional growth plan.
- Engage with academic leadership to a mindset of continuous improvement, and provides feedback, and self-evaluation.
- Adopt and practice Saint Mary’s School Learning Principles and Principles of Professionalism.
- Support the school and its mission.
- Perform other duties as necessary or as assigned.
- Perform weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in the teaching field; Advanced degree preferred.
- Ideal candidates will have at least 5 years of teaching experience, ideally at the high school level.
- Ideal candidates will have experience and qualifications to teach Spanish at multiple levels and proven proficiency in spoken and written Spanish (native or near-native ability).
- Demonstrated interest in girls’ education.
- Familiar with ACTFL proficiency levels and standards and embraces proficiency-based teaching and learning.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to establish priorities.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration with colleagues and academic leaders.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to use applicable technology tools.
- Enthusiasm and commitment towards professional development and lifelong learning.
- As a designer of learning the ability to engage students in meaningful and authentic learning experiences.
- Enthusiasm for the field of study and working with adolescents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Qualifications that meet SACS/SAIS requirements or willingness to acquire them in a specified time.
- Ability to work well with colleagues and administration and staff as a team.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- May deal with stressful situations in the normal course of duties, including a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of times.
- Standing, bending, reaching, and moving about to coordinate work.
- Regularly sit, talk, hear, and interact with students, parents, staff, and visitors.
- May work at a desk on the phone and in front of a computer screen.
- Ability to walk up and down three (3) flights of stairs daily.
- Be able to drive and/or ride in school-owned vehicles, including a 14-passenger bus.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package.
We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.