Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is currently searching for an Executive Assistant to the Head of School (Executive Assistant) to work on our beautiful historic campus. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security.
The Executive Assistant will report to the Head of School and provide a full range of administrative and strategic support to the Head of School. The Executive Assistant will also hold the responsibility for oversight of the Head of School’s office, functioning as both an extension of the Head of School and ensuring both responsiveness, efficiency, and warmth, so that everyone feels welcomed, respected, and well served. In addition, the Executive Assistant will provide administrative support to the Board of Trustees and manage a variety of special projects.
The Executive Assistant must be exceedingly well organized, detail oriented but flexible, and enjoy the challenges of working with a variety of situations and circumstances. The ability to interact with faculty and staff and external stakeholders at all levels while remaining diplomatic, professional, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. A high level of professionalism, sound judgment, and absolute confidentiality is critical to this role.
Head of School
- Serves as receptionist for the office of the Head of School: greets guests, answers phones and emails, and responds to questions from faculty, staff, parents, visitors and other constituents.
- Manages the Head of School’s business communication (phones, email, and mail) applying necessary judgement to determine priorities and importance.
- Maintains the Head of School’s online calendar in Microsoft Outlook; prioritizes requests for the Head’s attention by managing the scheduling of meetings and appointments, coordinates activities and agendas, and uses tact and diplomacy to resolve appointment conflicts due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Maintain a strong understanding of the school’s mission, vision, values, and strategic priorities in order to appropriately filter and prioritize incoming information and meeting requests.
- Establishes systems to ensure the Head of School is provided with the necessary background information and briefing materials for meetings, events, and speaking engagements; researches, organizes, prepares, and presents information in a clear and concise manner.
- Prepares purchase orders and processes invoices for goods and services for approval, working with the Business Office to ensure timely processing and payment. Assists with monthly credit card reconciliation for the Head of School’s credit card and the Executive Assistant’s credit card by procuring and attaching appropriate original receipts.
- Oversees and manages the annual departmental budget for both the Head of School and the Board of Trustees.
- Maintains and manages an organized and logical filing system for all electronic and paper documents.
- Makes and manages all travel arrangements for the Head of School, including airline and hotel reservations, conferences and meeting registrations, transportation, etc.
- Works with Executive Cabinet to coordinate workflow, facilitate projects, and plan meetings and retreats. Maintain vacation request dates for all Executive Cabinet members.
- Reviews, edits, and proofreads various documents.
- Assists with planning and coordinating meetings of the Executive Cabinet, Academic and Student Experience and Institutional Advancement Teams, including compiling, distributing, and curating meeting materials, and taking meeting minutes for the Executive Cabinet.
Board of Trustees
- Assists the Board Chair in all Board-level communications.
- Coordinates, schedules, plans, and executes all Board meetings and events, and support the staff liaisons for all Board Committee meetings and events.
- Maintains files for all meeting minutes, charters and objectives, confidentiality statements, bylaws, and other Board and Board Committee materials.
- Assists with the preparation for Board Meetings, including leading on tracking, monitoring, and following the progress of open action items, providing substantive and administrative assistance with drafting agendas, managing the calendar and process for board materials preparation, producing a final draft of the Board Book and loading the information into Board Effect Portal and managing portal documents and assisting with the production of accurate Board minutes at each meeting.
- Provides administrative support to the Board of Trustees, including correspondence, agendas, and all logistics for meetings, retreats, and events.
Scheduling and Calendar
- Prepares and manages the school calendar and other scheduled events.
- Coordinates the building of the calendar and schedule all required meetings.
- Schedules all meetings and events in the Smedes Conference Room or appropriate location.
- Makes all arrangements for faculty/staff meetings and employee events.
- Create and maintain assigned spreadsheets from school’s database or other resources.
- Responsible for renewing and maintaining school-wide memberships.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by the Head of School.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Qualifications: The Executive Assistant should:
- Support the mission of Saint Mary’s School.
- Exercise sound judgment, discretion, and a high level of confidentiality.
- Communicate effectively, diplomatically, and with confidence when interacting with faculty, staff, students, parents, alumnae, trustees, and other constituents.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by seeking additional training, attending educational workshops, and reviewing professional publications and resources.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Initiative, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, positive attitude, and sense of humor.
- Ability and willingness to work an extended work day, as needed.
- Expert knowledge of all MS Office applications.
- Experience using institutional database platforms with expert knowledge of Veracross or similar platform preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of administrative support experience or any appropriate combination of education and experience.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works primarily in a traditional climate-controlled office environment spending extended periods of time at a desk on a telephone and/or in front of a computer screen.
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, employees, alumnae, trustees, and other constituents.
- May work in varied extreme outside weather conditions during special activities and fundraising events.
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand, bend, reach, and move about to coordinate work.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds or less.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package.
We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.