Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is offering a unique and exciting opportunity for a Director of Athletics to work on a beautiful historic campus for the 2023-24 year. This benefited position possibly offers campus housing provided by the School where Residential Faculty members can participate in a vibrant campus life with other families and students and enjoy meals in the dining hall. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security.
The Director of Athletics will be responsible for providing leadership, direction, guidance, and support for the development and realization of the School’s Athletic Program and Philosophy and will be expected to assume full responsibility for all aspects of the athletic program at an all-girl’s high school in support of the School’s Mission. We are looking for candidates who have strong coaching, teaching, and learning backgrounds that embodies a student-centered philosophy and demonstrates a high degree of cross-cultural competency and inclusion in all aspect of school life. Saint Mary’s School seeks candidates who believe every learner deserves to have her needs met through learning communities that value diversity, compassion, and fairness.
Saint Mary’s School is seeking a Director of Athletics who will:
- Understand the psychology and development of adolescent girls.
- Communicate effectively and frequently with adolescent girls and all members of the Saint Mary’s community.
- Demonstrate organizational ability and skills.
- Use public relations skills, social media, and technology to promote the athletic program.
- Embrace the Saint Mary’s community.
- Instill confidence and trust from the community – a relationship builder!
- Model athletic skills and experience and an appreciation for all sports.
This position has the possibility to be residential and as such there is an opportunity to be a part of a close-knit residential faculty community where one lives on campus and works with students who board at the school. Residential Faculty members report to the Director of Residential Life and are responsible for duty of the girls at least one night a week and one weekend a month, including participating as a chaperone/sponsor or in some other capacity in aspects of the student life program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Promote pride, spirit, success, and sportsmanship
- Creates and maintains a positive environment which encourages and enhances each student’s participation and development in every athletic endeavor.
- Promotes pride, spirit, and success for and among all athletic teams on and off campus.
- Creates and maintains high standards of sportsmanship and fair play for athletic competition in every sport offered.
- Plans and leads athletic recognition assemblies and athletic rewards programs.
Athletic program oversight
- Provides strategic planning and ongoing evaluation for the entire athletic program including policies, philosophy, personnel, individual sports, and facilities.
- Regularly attends athletic contests both home and away.
- Attends as many athletic contests as possible to represent the school, to supervise student participation and parent conduct, and for evaluation of coaches both home and away games.
- Acts as a leader for the administration and all coaching personnel on matters pertaining to the athletic program.
- Provides an ongoing evaluation process of the entire athletic program including personnel, individual sports, and facilities.
- Maintains and revises the Athletic Handbook and other materials that establish policies and procedures of the program.
- Responsible for proper care, distribution, storage and replacement of all athletic equipment and uniforms.
- Works closely with Director of Enrollment Management and Financial Aid to yield student-athletes in the admissions process.
Athlete development, safety, and care
- Works with coaches to help prospective student-athletes in their pursuit of continuing their athletic career in college.
- Maintains and enforces policies and best practices regarding the safety and health of students and regularly communicate these to students, coaches and other individuals involved in the athletic program.
- Works with the athletic trainer in providing a safe environment for games and practices, and for the treatment, care, and rehabilitation for all school-related athletic injuries.
- Works with the school faculty/staff to support the academic endeavors of every student-athlete and reduce missed class time through careful planning of the School’s athletic calendar and daily operation of practices and games.
Management and supervision
- Maintains and supports high quality coaching and is responsible for the selection, hiring, evaluation, and professional development of the coaching staff with proactive communication and approval by the Institutional Leadership Team regarding current employees of the school. This includes close mentoring of new coaches.
- Directly supervises, supports, and collaborates with the Assistant Director of Athletics, Athletic Trainer, Strength and Conditioning personnel, seasonal coaches, and other departmental personnel.
- Holds staff and coaches’ meetings for updates on current athletic information and policies, to address any problems or concerns, and to support and mentor each coach in their pursuit of excellence.
- Holds all departmental personnel to the highest standards of ethical behavior with students and promptly consults with Assistant Head of School and Director of Employee Life regarding any personnel matters pertaining to coaches and other departmental personnel.
- Ensures that all programs are filled with knowledgeable, talented coaches and individuals who are properly trained in all organizational and philosophical aspects of the athletic program.
- Actively participate in the seminar by consulting with the design team as necessary and overseeing a section of seminar.
Communication and Relationships
- Demonstrates commitment to the School’s program as a whole by fulling understanding and following all School policies and procedures.
- Willingly assumes professional duties and maintains professional relationships with colleagues, students, parents, board members, and friends of the School.
- Communicates regularly with the Assistant Head of School regarding athletes and the athletics program.
- Maintains regular communication with parents, faculty/staff, coaches, and students regarding athletic procedures and events.
- Serves as a primary contact for all student and parents’ questions regarding athletics and provides timely responses.
- Advises the Assistant Head of School of any student disciplinary issues that occur during athletics so the issue can be addressed appropriately with the student.
- Be professionally active and knowledgeable and represent the School at various state, regional and national associations.
- Represents the athletics department at admission, development, and other school events.
Logistics, Planning, Scheduling and Budget
- Coordinates the supervision, transportation, security and other operational details of all contests, tournaments, and sanctioned athletic events on or off SMS campus.
- Responsible for contracting all game officials for home events and communicating with other schools to plan and confirm athletic contests.
- Oversees and has final approval over the scheduling of all interscholastic games within the framework of the school calendar for all SMS teams in coordination with the Assistant Head of School and Dean of Academic Innovation.
- Oversees transportation for all away athletic events and ensure coaches are eligible to drive based on Saint Mary’s insurance standards.
- Develops and submits an annual budget to the Assistant Head of School and the Chief Financial Officer and administer approved budget for the athletic department including approval of expenses and personnel changes.
- Works with the Director of Facilities to ensure all athletic facilities are safe, clean and that all athletic facilities are prepared and ready to host contests, game(s) or events and secure permission and permits for use of off-campus facilities.
- Performs weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the school community and the academic program as required by the position or requested by your manager/supervisor or designee.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Willingness and ability to be a dynamic role model for the girls and strong commitment to helping girls be the best they can be
- Exceptional communication skills and habits
- Coaching experience at the collegiate or varsity level
- Successful administrative experience
- Interest in developing all sports
- Understanding of importance of athletics as a recruitment tool and willingness to extend self to promote the athletic program
- Understanding and support of academic program
- Ability to develop and implement an appropriate athletics budget work within budget limitations
- Valid Driver’s License
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- May work at a desk on a phone and/or in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally be able to lift, push, pull or carry equipment and materials weighing 30 pounds or more.
- Be able to crawl, reach and occasionally run and drive a vehicle in the normal course of duties.
- May deal with highly stressful situations in the normal course of duties.
- Tasks are regularly performed with some risk of exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as humidity, rain, and temperature extremes.
- Be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Standing, bending, reaching, and moving about to coordinate work.
- Be able to drive or ride short and long distances in school-owned vehicles, including a 14-passenger bus.
- Be able to ride short and long distances in charter buses.
- Ability to drive at night.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package.
We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.