Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is offering a unique and exciting opportunity for an Associate Director of College Counseling to work on our beautiful historic campus for the 2022-23 year with the possibility of starting as soon as January 2022. This is a 10-month benefited position. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security.
The Associate Director of College Counseling will work closely with the Director of College Counseling in collaboration with the academic department to design engaging and important learning opportunities so that Saint Mary’s School students are educated in college research and planning with the goal of successful admission to college. The Associate Director of College Counseling will be a lifelong learner with a growth mindset who stays current with the landscape of college admissions. The Associate Director must be team oriented, skilled at building strong and trusting relationships and committed to enthusiastically engaging with the life of the school community.
As a part of a highly collaborative team, the Associate Director will counsel and support students of all grade levels, specifically in academic advising and college planning, with sound advice at every step of the process. The Associate Director will report to the Director of College Counseling and will commit to excellence through the professional growth plan. The College Counseling Office is committed to empathetic and enthusiastic advocacy for our students and families in all aspects of college planning.
- Counsel, support, and guide a diverse group of approximately 35 students in each class through academic planning and the college search and application processes.
- Maintain expertise in understanding the complexities of college admission and guide students with a supportive, optimistic, and thoughtful approach.
- Exhibit strong interest in a student-centered approach to college counseling with a clear commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Engage in learning opportunities to research colleges, admission policies, and national trends in the fields of college counseling and college admissions.
- Write compelling and incisive letters of recommendation in support of college applications, enrichment programs, and scholarship applications, for all grade levels as needed.
- Actively engage as a co-teacher in Seminar classes and encourage students to think deeply about their progression of personal and authentic development from high school to college.
- Travel on behalf of Saint Mary’s to attend professional conferences, college-sponsored events, and individual campus visits to cultivate relationships with college counseling and admission professionals.
- Provide nuanced college counseling perspective when collaborating with various school constituents.
- Coordinate and host college admission representative meetings and special programs.
- Actively pursue engagement in local, national, and regional professional organizations.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge on all functions of college counseling software (SCOIR).
- Manage NCAA portal for the department to support aspiring college athletes.
- Assist in maintaining content on college counseling web pages.
- Assist in the development and production of all office communications.
- Assist with coordination of scholarship and enrichment program application/nomination procedures.
- Maintain database of summer enrichment programs and promote within the school community.
General Academic and Administrative Roles
- Serve as an advisor to a small cohort of Saint Mary’s School students.
- Provide expert academic advising for students of all grade levels.
- Prepare and deliver high quality and compelling communication through various modalities, including public speaking, Seminar classes, written communication, and presentations.
- Attend meetings with parents, students, and faculty as needed.
- Assist registrar with course registration, scheduling, course conflict resolution, etc.
- Serve as a supportive resource for teachers and advisors in their work with students.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of College Counseling and school leadership.
- Support Saint Mary’s School and its leadership through words and actions.
- Perform weekend and evening responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor.
- Be a role model by demonstrating a commitment to ongoing professional learning and building capacity in the college counseling team for excellence through the facilitation of ongoing professional learning. Actively chart progress through regular conversations about professional growth plans.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- A bachelor’s degree is required, advanced degree preferred.
- Four or more years of experience in college counseling at a secondary school level is preferred. Candidates with experience in selective college admissions or an equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- Commitment to building a culture of inclusivity, balance, and wellness for all students.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to establish priorities.
- Ability to use applicable computer programs and databases and adept at learning new tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administration in support of the mission of the school.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Regularly sit, stand, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, staff and visitors.
- Generally, work in standard office conditions and climate.
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Works at a desk on a telephone and/or in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Positive energy, patience, and a sense of humor to work effectively with high school students and their families, especially during potentially stressful situations.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.