Saint Mary’s School, an all-girl, independent, college-preparatory, Episcopal, boarding and day school serving girls in grades 9-12, seeks an engaging and innovative relationship builder as its Assistant Director of the Annual Fund.
About Saint Mary’s School
Mission: Saint Mary’s School, a community dedicated to academic excellence and personal achievement, prepares young women for college and life. To accomplish our mission, Saint Mary’s School
- Challenges each young woman to embrace the habits of an intellectual life, engages her with the past and the emerging future, and empowers her to serve and shape her world
- Fosters in each young woman a spirit of connection to others, guides her in developing her spiritual and ethical integrity, and prepares her to take responsibility for herself and her future
Founded in 1842 in the Episcopal tradition, Saint Mary’s is an independent high school, enrolling 292 girls in grades 9-12. The school, which formerly included a two-year college program, transitioned to a four-year high school in 1998. Girls come to Saint Mary’s from 14 states and 6 countries with approximately 52% boarding students and 48% day students. Saint Mary’s celebrates nearly 10,000 alumnae.
Led by a Board of 23 Directors and 90 faculty and staff members, Saint Mary's School inspires girls to step outside their comfort zones, engage their minds, amplify their voices, and discover who they are and who they want to become.
Located on a 23-acre campus in the heart of North Carolina's vibrant capital city of Raleigh, Saint Mary’s is a beautiful, historic oasis securely nestled within walking distance to downtown, Cameron Village, and NC State University.
For more information about Saint Mary’s School, please visit https://www.sms.edu/
As a key member of the Development Team in the Office of Institutional Advancement, the Assistant Director reports directly to and works in partnership with the Director of the Annual Fund. The Assistant Director brings strategic leadership to the parent and reunion giving programs, advancement and school events, and prospect development within the context of the overall development plan.
The new Assistant Director will be entrusted with the following key responsibilities:
Fundraising - The Assistant Director has responsibility for the planning and execution for the following fundraising areas.
- Work with the Director of Annual Fund to set and achieve ambitious parent, alumnae and reunion fundraising and participation goals annually
- Manage a portfolio of Annual Fund leadership prospects using moves management strategies to qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward each prospect
- Direct reunion class gift campaigns and develop strategies for achieving reunion class fundraising goals as well as recruit and train reunion volunteers
- In partnership with the IA team, develop comprehensive solicitation strategies for parents, referring prospects to planned giving, major gift, or other colleagues as needed
Prospect Development – Build relationships with donors, prospects, and cross-department colleagues to help inform prospect qualification, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Use giving history, detailed prospect analysis, and other information to determine dollar and participation goals for fundraising programs and to qualify individual donors and prospects
- Build intentional relationships with Parent Association and Alumnae Council leaders and across school departments to identify relationships between constituents and to learn qualifying information about prospects
- Diplomatically ask qualifying questions to distinguish prospects
- Track all moves, solicitation targets, and notes in Veracross
Volunteer Management – The Assistant Director supports the recruitment and training of IA volunteers.
- Assist the Associate Head of School, Director of the Annual Fund, and Director of Alumnae Engagement in developing and implementing strategies to strengthen volunteer engagement
- Recruit, manage and train alumnae and parent volunteers for special and ongoing initiatives including reunions and grade level Annual Fund parent volunteers
- Develop presentations and toolkits to train volunteers in peer-education and solicitation and take an active role in developing motivational strategies to enhance the volunteer experience
Event Management – The Assistant Director leads or supports IA specific and school-wide events
- Actively coordinate with staff and volunteer hosts on local and regional school events including reunion weekend programming and parent events, scheduling speakers (such as the HOS), and managing all logistics
- Ensure strong communication, promotion, and follow up for events, drafting invitation language, briefing materials, program details, and follow up correspondence
- Document information gleaned about prospects at each event in Veracross
- Attend events as primary staff person and oversee follow-up as directed
- Firm commitment to the mission and values of Saint Mary’s School and the confidential nature of development work
- Proven experience in fundraising
- High-energy, naturally curious leader who is energized by building and advancing relationships
- Exceptional attention to detail with an ability to pivot graciously when plans are interrupted
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high social and emotional IQ
- Deep integrity and a universally approachable listener who acts with unparalleled follow through
- Inspiring public speaker with extraordinary oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success in managing volunteers of various ages
- Proven ability to work both independently and in collaboration within cross-functional partnerships
- Confidence with the use of technology in presentations, virtual meetings, and social media
- Willingness to travel and work non-conventional hours, including some evenings and weekends
- A sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree
- A valid driver’s license
To apply, upload a cover letter specific to the opportunity, resume, references, and salary requirements to armstrongmcguire.com. Email email@example.com in case of technical problems. No phone calls please. Applications will not be accepted by email or third-party sites. Preferred application deadline September 24, 2021. The total compensation (salary and benefits) for this position is competitive within the market and the typical level of experience of assistant directors.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.