Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School invites interested applicants to apply for a Visual and Performing Arts Program Director (Director) position to take an already excellent program into the future. The successful applicant will assist in the designing, implementing, directing, monitoring, evaluating, and promoting of the school’s Visual and Performing Arts programs (art, music, choral, dance, and theatre).
With a solid foundation and understanding of the facets of the Saint Mary’s visual and performing arts program, this position requires a transformational and collaborative leader able to guide the reimagining of the school’s arts programming to include the integration of key competencies and 21st century technologies across arts disciplines. With the recent emphasis on updating and retrofitting technology in the historic Pitman Auditorium and the opportunities this provides, the successful candidate must have a technical theatre background and comfort with the use of technologies as they relate to fine arts, music, and the theater environment. This position will be required to teach theatre arts curriculum.
In addition, in support of the school’s initiative to establish powerful partnerships in Raleigh’s creative community, the Director will be adept at identifying and developing such partnerships to enhance and deepen student learning.
Reporting to the Dean of Teaching and Learning, the Director will be a vibrant member of the academic leadership team, providing inspiration, vision, and leadership to the department and coordinating and managing the whole scope of the arts program. The Director is a relationship-oriented individual who relates well to stakeholders and understands and models excellent leadership qualities that create an innovative and collegial atmosphere.
This benefited position offers the potential for campus housing provided by the School where you can participate in a vibrant campus life with other families and students and enjoy meals in the dining hall.
- Inspire the VPA department and students through co-creating state-of-the-art programming for all girls at Saint Mary’s
- Provide leadership in the implementation and infusion of appropriate technology into the VPA department
- Act as leader and visionary for the VPA program
- Develop, coordinate, and administer a productive high school VPA program through the oversight of the department
- Effectively communicate with various stakeholders inside and outside of the organization
- Cultivate relationships with Raleigh’s creative community (including post-secondary institutions) to develop effective and enduring partnerships
- The leadership of the dramatic arts program and productions
- Coordinate the VPA curriculum so that Saint Mary’s program is state-of-the-art, attracts talent, and grows students’ creative abilities
- Collaborate with other co-curricular personnel
- Facilitate meetings, workshops, and seminars to identify issues, developing recommendations, supporting other staff
- Perform personnel functions (e.g., interviewing, evaluating, supervising) to maintain adequate staffing, enhance the productivity of personnel, and achieve objectives
- Solid skills in programming and talent development
- Oversee, participate, and lead productions, specifically in the dramatic arts.
- Recruit and develop a parent volunteer base to help support the VPA department
- Oversee students who select self-directed study
- Strong skills in the management of budgets and scheduling
Theatre Program and Teaching Responsibilities
- Develop, coordinate, and administer a productive high school theater program through classroom teaching, clubs, and oversight of all theatre productions
- Serve as the producer for all school-wide theatre performances
- Coordinate all theater audition processes on campus
- Partner with College Counseling to prepare students for college auditions/college portfolios
- Write recommendations for awards, scholarships
- Design learning to engage and inspire students
- Develop formative and summative assessments to track student growth
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders through regularly scheduled progress reports
- Perform weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor
- Master’s degree and a minimum of five years of theatre teaching preferably in a school environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience leading and managing a visual and performing arts department
- Background in technology as it relates to visual and performing arts
- K-12 directing experience preferred
- Interest in girls’ education
- Excellent leadership skills
- Exceptional organizational and leadership skills to manage simultaneous projects and programs
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including composing and proofreading
- Ability to use applicable computer programs including audio/visual equipment, as required for state-of-the-art learning
- Work cooperatively and diplomatically with all stakeholders
- Commitment to professional development
- A solid foundation in drama and theatre production
- Valid Driver’s License
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.