Located in Raleigh, N.C., Saint Mary’s School is an independent, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9-12 and is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. Saint Mary’s School is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Saint Mary’s School is searching for a temporary, full-time, science instructor whose primary responsibility will be developing and teaching courses in physical science and biology from August-November 2019. Saint Mary’s faculty members bring the mission of the school to life, creating classrooms that embody and nurture intellectual character, communication and critical thinking. Faculty members report to the Dean of Teaching and Learning through their academic department chair. Faculty members are responsible for all aspects of the classes they teach, for participation in various departmental and school groups and endeavors, and for participating as chaperone or sponsor or in some other capacity in aspects of the student life program.
- Teach a full load of classes (typically five sections) as assigned, with a focus on developing the Saint Mary’s ten key competencies.
- Work directly with a co-teacher to develop and implement curriculum that aligns with the Saint Mary’s ten key competencies.
- Assess and report on students’ progress.
- Communicate with parents effectively and frequently through regularly scheduled progress reports and at other times as necessary, most particularly when students encounter difficulty.
- Provide academic support: Provide individual or small-group help to students; advise students.
- Serve as an advisor.
- Perform other duties as necessary or as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching field, Master’s degree desirable.
- Demonstrated interest in the K-12 education of girls.
- Fluency with computer technology.
- Ability to work cooperatively and diplomatically with students, parents, faculty, staff and administration.
- Commitment to student learning and to continued professional development.
- Ability to engage students in learning.
- Enthusiasm for field of study and working with adolescents.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in a highly dynamic environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of times.
- Standing, bending, reaching and moving about to coordinate work.
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, staff and visitors
- May work at a desk on a phone and/or in front of a computer screen.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.