School Counselor and Residential Faculty Member
Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is offering a unique and exciting opportunity for a School Counselor and Residential Faculty Member to live and work on a beautiful historic campus for the 2019-20 year. This benefited position offers the potential for campus housing provided by the School where you can participate in a vibrant campus life with other families and students and enjoy meals in the dining hall. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security. The School Counselor will promote student success, provide preventive services, and respond to identified student needs using leadership, advocacy and collaboration. The School Counselor will be a member of the Residential Life staff and Student Life Team and will report directly to the Dean of Students. Keys to success in this position include taking initiative, being proactive, and following-up in addressing student concerns. The School Counselor will provide counseling support, character education, wellness programming, and life skills programming to students. The school counselor will be a critical leader in the health and well-being of our community. Being actively engaged with students, being connected to student issues and maintaining awareness of the pulse of the community are essential to this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct services to students through programs, preventative activities, individual and group counseling that includes a variety of approaches from therapeutic to holistic wellness techniques.
- Develop, implement, and support health and wellness programs in collaboration with the Dean of Students, Binder Health Center, Chaplain, Academic Support Specialist, and other members of the Saint Mary’s community.
- Serve as a leader on campus wide mental health initiatives and care teams.
- Provides emergency and short-term counseling support to students as situations arise, including on-call support for students.
- Addresses the emotional, academic, safety and well-being concerns of students through proactive awareness and implementation of appropriate interventions.
- Maintains student confidentiality as is appropriate in the school setting.
- Conducts mental health assessments, provides short-term counseling support, and implements effective referral and follow-up processes as needed.
- Consults and collaborates effectively with administrators, employees, and parents/guardians regarding students with identified concerns and needs.
- Implements appropriate plans and provides case management services to address the needs of students and the institution.
- Advises and/or coordinates various student-lead organizations and serves on institutional committees related to health and wellness.
- Conducts faculty, staff, and student leader in-service training and educational opportunities on mental health and wellness related topics.
- Is fully engaged in delivery of all-school seminar program and leadership programming which can include but not limited to MBTI assessment and education, relaxation/stress relief skills building, and organizational skill building. This includes consulting with the design team to build out the Seminar program and delivering Seminar programming.
- Writes and submits year-end reports in collaboration with members of the Student Life Team.
- Continuously review extent of current program effectiveness and provide recommendations and feedback as appropriate for the wellbeing of the students.
- Supports the admission office by reviewing student files and conducting conversations with outside mental health professionals when needed during the admission process.
- Adheres to laws, policies, procedures, and ethical standards of the school counseling profession.
- Performs teaching, advising, and co-curricular programs as assigned.
- Performs weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- Master’s degree in counseling, psychology, or closely related field and five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with students from different backgrounds, cultures, and academic needs, including students with learning differences or giftedness.
- School counseling experience preferred.
- Ability to deal straightforwardly and compassionately with students and parents.
- Ability to work cooperatively with students, faculty, staff, and administration in support of the mission of the school.
- Valid Driver’s License
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
- May work in varied extreme outside weather conditions during special activities.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of challenges, including crisis management.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to drive students to appointments, etc.
- Walking up and down flights of stairs (up to four (4) stories of a building at once).
- Be able to drive or ride short and long distances in school-owned vehicles, including a 14-passenger bus.
- Be able to ride short and long distances in charter buses.
- Ability to drive at night.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.