Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School currently has an opportunity for an Instructor of Humanities to work as a long-term substitute for approximately twelve (12) weeks starting in January 2020. This position requires a flexible and experienced teacher who can teach World History classes to 9th and 10th-grade students. Saint Mary’s School seeks candidates who believe every learner deserves to have her needs met through learning communities that value diversity, compassion, and fairness.
Saint Mary’s faculty members bring the mission of the school to life; creating classrooms that embody and nurture intellectual character, communication, and critical thinking. This position reports to the Dean of Teaching and Learning through their academic leader.
- Teach five classes in World History.
- Work independently as an instructor.
- Plan lessons, grade assignments and write reports for student report cards.
- Assess and report on students’ progress.
- Meet with students for a better understanding of classroom work and/or homework assignments, as necessary.
- Communicate with parents effectively and frequently through regularly scheduled progress reports and at other times as necessary, most particularly when students encounter difficulty.
- Provide academic support to students, including small-group and individual help.
- Work with the department chair.
- Perform other duties as necessary or as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in history or in a closely related field; Advanced degree preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to establish priorities.
- Teaching experience
- Ability to use applicable computer programs.
- Enthusiasm for the field of study and working with adolescents.
- Ability to partner with parents and to communicate effectively with them
- Ability to work with colleagues and administration and staff as a team
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- May deal with situations in the normal course of duties, including a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment.
- Ability to walk up and down three (3) flights of stairs.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Standing, bending, reaching and moving about to coordinate work.
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, staff, and visitors.
- May work at a desk on a phone and/or in front of a computer screen.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.