Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is offering a unique and exciting opportunity for a Part-Time Instructor of World Languages (Latin) to work on a beautiful historic campus for the 2019-20 year. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security. This part-time position requires a designer of learning, a pedagogical expert and a flexible teacher who can teach a variety of classes from Latin II through AP. In all three World Language offerings, Latin, French, and Spanish, students strive for mastery in each and every aspect of language acquisition, integrating reading, writing, listening and speaking. There is an emphasis on the communicative approach to teaching and learning a world language and we align our student learning outcomes according to the national standards for proficiency set by ACTFL. We are looking for candidates who see themselves as leaders in their field and who have strong teaching and learning backgrounds that embodies a student-centered philosophy and who may be willing to coach a sport. Saint Mary’s School seeks candidates who believe every learner deserves to have her needs met through learning communities that value diversity, compassion, and fairness.
Saint Mary’s faculty members bring the mission of the school to life; creating classrooms that embody and nurture the mind, body and spirit. Faculty members report to the Dean of Teaching and Learning through their academic leader. Faculty members are responsible for all aspects of the classes they teach and for participation in various departmental and school groups and endeavors.
- Teach a half load of classes as assigned, with a focus on developing the Saint Mary’s ten (10) core competencies across academic disciplines.
- Design learning to engage and inspire students.
- Assess and report on students’ progress.
- Communicate with parents effectively and frequently through regularly scheduled progress reports and at other times as necessary, most particularly when students encounter difficulty.
- Provide academic support: Provide individual or small-group help to students; advise students.
- Serve in some combination of various capacities in co- and extra-curricular and residential programs.
- Perform other duties as necessary or as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching field; Advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in the K-12 education of girls.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to establish priorities.
- Qualifications that meet SACS/SAIS requirements or willingness to acquire them in a specified time
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including composing and proofreading.
- Ability to use applicable computer programs.
- Ability to work cooperatively and diplomatically with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Commitment to student learning and to continued professional development.
- Ability to engage students in learning.
- Enthusiasm for field of study and working with adolescents.
- Ability to partner with parents and to communicate effectively with them
- Ability to work with colleagues and administration and staff as a team
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in a highly dynamic environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of times.
- Standing, bending, reaching and moving about to coordinate work.
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and interact with students, parents, staff and visitors.
- May work at a desk on a phone and/or in front of a computer screen.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.