Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is currently searching for a Housekeeping Manager to work on our beautiful historic campus. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security. The Housekeeping Manager reports directly to the Director of Facilities and is responsible for planning, organizing, and developing the overall operation of the housekeeping department. This position is responsible for supervising the performance of the housekeeping staff, ensuring the school’s buildings are clean and sanitized for all, and managing the setup and takedown requirements for school related events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Director of Facilities.
- Supervise daily shift operations of the Housekeeping Department and ensure compliance with all housekeeping policies, standards, and procedures.
- Assign and oversee the daily responsibilities and assignments of the Housekeeping department to include regular cleaning of all buildings on campus, as well as monitoring the School’s work order system and assignment of work orders to the appropriate staff member.
- Ensure that each team member meets or exceeds housekeeping expectations through regular oversight, training, management, communication, and coaching. Complete inspections and hold people accountable for their assigned tasks, delivering corrective actions as needed.
- Perform building inspections in accordance with standards set by the department and the Director of Facilities to evaluate both the housekeeping staff and the status of maintenance work orders.
- Maintain a regular deep cleaning program including a monthly planner for periodic housekeeping projects such as floor/carpet care, light fixtures, etc.
- Perform housekeeping duties as required and fill in for housekeepers on an as need basis.
- Coordinate, oversee and manage set-up and takedown for school-related events as required.
- Coordinate with the Administrative Assistant to the Head of School on the reservation forms and the master calendar to ensure timely set-up and takedown as specified.
- Coordinate with event directors to ensure the smooth setup, takedown and requirements for the event, as needed.
- Plan, manage, oversee, inspect, and assist with set-up and takedown operations.
- Determine and maintain the department work schedule to notify staff of upcoming events and ensure proper preparation and staffing for each event.
- Take responsibility and ownership for the successful operations of the Housekeeping Department in accordance with School policies, procedures, and culture, upholding the highest standards of cleanliness, safety, and conduct.
- Participate in departmental meetings and continually communicate a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Timely advise the Director of Facilities of any employee/student housekeeping related issues.
- Work with team members to ensure the department works well together to accomplish departmental goals.
- Purchase, re-order and maintain housekeeping supplies and inventory.
- Monitor and maintain the housekeeping budget in conjunction with the Director of Facilities.
- Recruit, schedule and train all new housekeeping staff members.
- Ensure compliance with safety and sanitation standards. Maintain knowledge of OSHA and safety standards and manage compliance within the Housekeeping department.
- Monitor the proper maintenance of all equipment and make arrangements for repair and/or replacement of used and damaged equipment.
- Maintain staff schedule and track employee time and attendance through electronic timesheets and make necessary adjustments for all employees’ absences in the housekeeping department.
- Perform performance evaluations for all direct reports.
- Assist the Director of Facilities with special projects and all other duties as assigned or needed.
- Perform weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- Must be able to manage and supervise staff members – leadership skills
- Strong work ethic and independent initiative for quality care and customer service
- Ability to make appropriate independent decisions within proper policy and procedures
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work as part of a team and complete tasks individually
- Excellent problem-solving skills both one-on-one and in group situations
- Ability to manage staff to ensure standards are met
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills and an ability to prioritize
- Proven job reliability, diligence, dedication and attention to detail
- Verbal and written communication skills including use of email and work order system
- Efficient with office software such as Excel and Word
- Proven ability and willingness to interact appropriately and effectively with all levels of school constituents.
Physical Activities / Environmental Demands:
- Full range of mobility in upper and lower body
- Able to work in various positions, including, but not limited to, walking, stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and squatting for extended periods of time
- Able to lift, pull, and push materials and equipment to complete assigned job tasks
- Prolonged standing and walking up and down stairs (up to 4 stories of a building at once).
- Reach with hands and arms,
- Must be able to lift and move objects up to 50 pounds consistently with heavier weight necessary at times
- Standing, bending and moving about to coordinate work
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Requires a high school diploma or G.E.D certificate, some college preferred and a minimum of four (4) years experience in all aspects of Housekeeping, with at least two years as supervisor in housekeeping or service-related field with high customer/client contact or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with event set-up preferred.
- Experience in a school environment with students in residence preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.