Development Database Manager
Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is currently looking for a Database Manager who reports directly to the Director of Development and coordinates the administration of the Veracross development database to maintain accurate, thorough donor records and recording of gifts. The Database Manager plays a crucial technical role in the department's daily operations which includes an annual fund, capital campaign, donor relations, and frequent special events. This position creates queries and reports, maintains database integrity and works closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure timely, accurate gift reporting.
Database Management and Reporting
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, provide leadership and planning for development processes and procedures in areas of data entry practices, gift processing, database integrity, reporting, data analysis, event tracking, system enhancements, prospect tracking and moves management.
- Work collaboratively with appropriate team members to maximize efficient use of the database to effectively address the needs of specific areas including but not limited to campaign giving, leadership giving, donor relations, and special events.
- Generate internal and external reports, queries, and exports regarding donors, potential donors, and fundraising activities. Provide database support to staff.
- Ability to analyze data to uncover trends and inform donor strategy.
- Provide weekly/monthly internal and external status reports on the annual fund, capital campaign, and various other initiatives.
- Maintain data integrity, clean up inconsistent data.
Gift Entry, Acknowledgments & Reconciliation
- Receive and enter all gifts into the database with appropriate coding; manage check, credit card, stock, online donation and other gift processes.
- Produce acknowledgment letters/tax receipts while checking for errors and ensuring compliance with IRS regulations.
- Manage the department's hard copy and electronic donation files in accordance with the organization’s record retention policy.
- Produce semi-monthly and monthly revenue reports for department and Business Department.
- Complete monthly reconciliation reports with the Business Department.
- Provide internal and external reports and other data to the Operations and Finance Department in compliance with IRS, audit and financial reporting requirements.
Special Projects & Events
- Provide support to phone-a-thons including preparing calling cards, setting up, and tracking results. Communicate with constituents over the phone as needed.
- Organize and maintain event, direct mail, and magazine distribution lists. Update demographic information and take action on returned mail, as needed.
- In collaboration with the development team, establish new funds and campaign crediting guidelines within the scope of the database system. Work to ensure campaign reports are accurate for internal/external purposes.
- Support the Development Office’s role in audit and all financial reporting process.
- Coordinate uploads from third parties such as event production and direct mail teams.
- Set up events and campaigns in the database, record attendees, track payments and other event-related details, and generate nametags and reports as needed.
- Support and staff events as needed.
- Management and oversight of processes for accurate and timely data entry and reporting.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of departmental or office administration by exercising discretion in communicating information and handling of all departmental requests.
- Collaborate with development team members to accomplish the goals and objectives of the department.
- Collaborate with technology and other database stakeholders to ensure system consistency and integrity.
- Participate in the creation of a written action plan that documents annual goals and objectives in the development office and monitor progress throughout the year.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Perform weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
- Knowledge of gift processing and stewardship policies including IRS regulations governing contributions to 501(c)(3) organizations, regulatory compliance, and database administration.
- Knowledge of gift recording requirements, including u/s accounting standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five (5) years of related professional experience or any appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Veracross preferred.
- Ability to prioritize work and the flexibility to change directions as the job dictates.
- Ability to solve problems by selecting and applying commonly used procedures, precedents, and rules.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain the quality of detailed work while meeting deadlines.
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various types of people.
- Possesses superior communications skills (written and oral) to communicate directly with donors and external/internal stakeholders.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time each day.
- Be able to walk up and down two flights of stairs several times each day.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled office environment.
- May work in varied extreme outside weather conditions during special activities and fundraising events.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Willingness to work development events, including evening and weekend hours as necessary.
- Work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment requiring the ability to deal with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and people.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
- Be able to drive a golf cart.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.