Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is offering a unique and exciting opportunity for an Assistant Director of Athletics to work on a beautiful historic campus for the 2019-20 year. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security. The Assistant Director of Athletics will assist the Director of Athletics in the oversight of the Athletics Department of the School including athletic compliance requirements, adherence to departmental policies and procedures, supervision of athletic events, supervision of student-athlete registration, and coordination with the admissions department in the enrollment process for student-athletes. The Assistant Director will be responsible for supporting the athletic program of the School through oversight of seasonal coaches, collaboration on program development aligned with the school mission, and contributions to summer programs. This position is a twelve-month position reporting to the Director of Athletics during the school year and to the Director of Auxiliary Services and Summer Programs during the summer. The Assistant Director will proactively support the school, its values, and its leadership.
Primary Responsibilities: School Year Athletics Program (Aug 1 – May 31)
- Actively support the Saint Mary’s athletics program, building confidence and enthusiasm with parents, students, employees, prospective students, alumnae, and other constituencies.
- Solely responsible for the after-school PLUS program in regard to tracking student activity, arranging instructors, developing requirements, and communicating with students and parents.
- Collaborate with Director of Athletics to develop an Athletic Council. This position will be solely responsible for meeting with student athletic groups to gauge their sports experience and interest.
- Coach one - two athletic sports during the academic year as required.
- Collaborate with Director of Athletics and Director of Auxiliary Services and Summer Programs to develop and implement strategic initiatives for school athletics program and summer programs including developing community partnerships.
- Preparation and assistance for the virtual summer training program from coaches including communication, prep for tryouts, coordinating requirement for physicals, providing coaches with information, confirming scheduling and referees for the upcoming school year.
- Actively participate in the seminar by consulting with the design team as necessary and overseeing a section of seminar.
- Supervises designated athletic events including supervision of coaches and other game personnel and resolving issues as required. These may include emergency communications, crowd control issues, injuries and maintaining School’s athletic program standards of behavior.
- Secures and schedules game day workers such as announcers, officials, and clock operators.
- Maintains schedule for all athletic facility rentals and events.
- Maintains personnel records related to required certifications such as CPR and First Aid and ensures personnel are up-to-date on requirements. Works in conjunction with the Head Athletic Trainer to provide current medical forms to coaches.
- Manages logistics and required communications associated with the athletics program such as scheduling, transportation, event management, equipment, student attendance, and facilities.
- Organize, plan and manage award ceremonies and seasonal banquets in collaboration with Director of Athletics and Student Life department.
Marketing and Communications
- Responsible for creating communications including the athletic section of the School’s website, the athletics newsletter, and other athletics information exchange.
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications and the Director of Athletics to ensure integrated marketing of the athletics program within the context of the school and to develop effective public relations.
- Enhance website including but not limited to season previews, web articles, recaps, and stories. Update athletic pages on school website, ensuring current information is available to all constituents.
Finance and Administration
- Process invoices in line with the athletic department budget, business office and departmental procedures, including receipts, coding, and monitoring expenses.
- Process personnel paperwork related to athletics seasonal staffing with the approval of the Director of Athletics and in coordination with the business office.
- Maintain results of athletic contests, team records, and individual accomplishments.
- Prepares an inventory report of uniforms and equipment before and after each season for review by Director of Athletics.
Primary Responsibilities: Summer Programs (June 1- July 31)
- Assist with launch of summer programs under the direction of Director of Auxiliary Services and Summer Programs.
- Provide administrative and operational support to summer programs including but not limited to assistance with paperwork for onboarding counselors and camp directors; training counselors for summer programs; registration and check-in for camp programs.
- Serve as camp counselor, camp director and/or provide summer program assistance as needed.
- Oversee residential facility rentals, gym facility rentals and other rentals as needed during the summer, including Marlins of Raleigh for the pool, AAU basketball teams in the gym, Dynasty Goalkeeping, and Royal School of church Music.
- Perform other duties as necessary or as assigned.
- Performs weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorize to give instructions or assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to coach athletic sports at the JV and Varsity levels, including Head Coach or Assistant Head Coach
- Willingness to adhere to a flexible schedule that includes weekend and evening work depending on departmental needs
- Ability to travel to event locations including out-of-town events and occasional overnights
- CPR/First Aid Certification to be obtained within the first year of employment and maintained throughout employment in Athletics
- Strong work ethic, energy, and enthusiasm
- Extraordinary organizational skills and attention to detail
- Friendly, engaging and approachable
- Enthusiasm for working with high school students and athletes
- Able to understand and effectively communicate balance between academics and athletics
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to be a team player and communicate effectively with faculty and staff, parents, alumnae, and students
- 21 years of age with valid driver’s license
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- May work at a desk on a phone and/or in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Able to lift, push, pull, move or carry athletics and other work related equipment weighing 30 pounds
- Be able to crawl, reach and occasionally run
- May deal with highly stressful situations in the normal course of duties
- Tasks are regularly performed with risk of exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as humidity, rain, and temperature extremes
- Able to stand or sit for extended periods of time
- Standing, bending, reaching and moving about to coordinate work
- Be able to drive or ride short and long distances in school-owned vehicles, including a 14-passenger bus
- Be able to ride short and long distances in charter buses
- Ability to drive at night
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.